Summer Garden Program
When students engage in growing food, they gain knowledge and skills to make lifelong healthy food choices. To support teachers and schools we provide garden support throughout the summer.
The Summer Garden Coordinator empowers students by working with them to build and maintain garden beds at their schools.
+ Summer Garden Coordinator Services
- Planting with classes in the spring
- Connecting the garden to the classroom by hosting mini-lessons with interested classes
- Hosting open garden hours for families from June to Mid-August, during which time he or she will maintain the garden as needed
- Communicating with school-based staff about additional garden needs
- Partnering with local food shelves to supply fresh produce when there is an abundance
- Participating in various community initiatives, such as Edible Brattleboro
- Sharing photos, videos, and stories with Food Connects staff, so that we may celebrate with the wider community
+ 2019 Open Garden Hours
- Guilford: Mondays 9:30 to 11:30 am
- Oak Grove: Tuesdays 9:30 to 11:30 am
- Green Street School: Tuesdays 5:30 to 7:30 pm
- Vernon: Wednesdays 5:30 to 7:30 pm
- Academy: Thursdays 5:30 to 7:30 pm
"Food Connects's help was invaluable! Such a necessary component that is hard to create otherwise."
"Food Connects is the main reason our garden looked so fabulous this fall! The consistency was wonderful. The weekly garden mornings were really enjoyed and appreciated by families.”
"The Green Street School garden looked better than ever this fall. Students were thrilled to have a consistent weekly garden work session to attend. Summer care of school gardens is always a challenge and they made it seamless and better than ever for us. Thank you Food Connects!”