We take great pride in raising happy and healthy animals. Feeding cattle grass instead of grain is one thing; taking a holistic approach toward raising a herd is another. Our slaughterhouse/butcher is also AWA certified.
We maintain a herd of approximately 50 animals, including cattle of Pinzgauer, Simmental, Devon, Hereford, and Angus heritage. Selecting the best genetics from a variety of English and Continental breeds generates a herd that is sustainable, efficient and, of course, results in the highest quality beef. Our selection and breeding process looks for animals who are:
- slower growing than typical beef cattle, leading to beef with a greater depth of flavor
- well-suited to being fed and finished exclusively on grass
- able to thrive in the Vermont climate
- efficient and productive grazers who work well with our grazing techniques
- well-tempered and who will succeed as part of the herd at large
- good mothers, in raising offspring and milk production, to ensure healthy calves.